CSMIO-MPG is a 6-axis JOG module, which in connection with rotary encoder provides easy, effortless and most of all intuitive machine axes moving. It was designed for more professional CNC machines operation.
This way a user can get not expensive, precise tool for fast configuration of a material base (G54, G55 …), a tool magazine (tool length offset) and also for fast manual treatment or fast manual rides.
Main advantages of CSMIO – MPG module?
- No settings required – CSMIO-MPG in current plugin version for Mach3 (up.to 23.01.2017) is ready to work right after installation and doesn’t need any configuration. It’s possible since digital signals have functions assigned permanently. In case of Mach4, it will be possible to create your own digital signals configuration and also to use them for purposes not related to MPG module. It means that free digital inputs can be used for example for start-stop – pause buttons connection.
- Safety system – CSMIO-MPG module is equipped with hardware E-STOP circuit. It means that the E-STOP circuit goes through the module and a manual handwheel encoder. After pressing the emergency stop button on the handwheel, the circuit is opened (open circuit), what causes immediate machine stop. It’s about the same E-Stop circuit used by CSMIO/IP motion controller and all emergency buttons mounted in a machine.
- Solid aluminum housing which dissipates heat and protects electronic circuits very well. Readable led controls on a front panel which make it easier to install and simplify diagnostics in case of any problems with switches and an encoder of a handwheel.
- Additional features – CSMIO-MPG module has two 0-5V analog inputs that can be used for connection of potentiometers of spindle rotary speed and axis feed rate correction. In case of 4-axis machines, the 5th axis selection switch position (B axis) and 6th position (C axis) may be used for spindle rotary speed and axis feed rate correction. The Correction value is in this case adjusted with the manual handwheel encoder.
- Industry standard – CSMIO-MPG module is adapted to worldwide standards:
- Opto-isolated 24V DC digital outputs
- Opto-isolated 24V DC digital inputs
- The power supply adapted to 24VDC
General & Main Features
Provided by connection of the CSMIO-MPG module with a CSMIO/IP controller through CAN bus. It guarantees correct and fast transmission even in a tough industrial environment. The great advantage of CAN bus is resistance to interference also in case of much distance between devices, the resistance is assured by differential transmission and CAN bus termination (120 Ohm resistor at the beginning and at the end of the CAN bus). Another advantage of the CAN bus is the ability to detect collisions and data loss by the strict control of the transmission.
All CSMIO-MPG modules require manual handwheel encoder, power supply, and CAN bus. Instead of the handwheel, you can just use an operator panel with proper elements mounted in (switches of axis selection, step size and encoder). Input and output signals are optically isolated inside and filtered. All the signals are adjusted to the industrial standard, so they require an encoder with incremental TTL 5V signal (differential and not – non-differential), and digital inputs and outputs work with 24VDC voltage.
Sample connection of CAN bus for CSMIO/IP-S controller and CSMIO-MPG module (based on available documentation).
|Number of axes||6|
|Digital inputs (opto-isolated)||10|
|Digital outputs (opto-isolated)||2|
|Supply voltage||24VDC +/-10%|
|Maximum voltage on in/out lines||30VDC|
|Maximum load of output line||30mA|
|Voltage range of analog inputs||0-5 VDC|
|Maximum frequency of encoder signal||10KHz|
|Ambient temperature range||0oC to +60oC|
|Relative humidity (without condensation)||10% – 95%|
CSMIO-MPG module is recommended to users/companies, who:
- retrofit original CNC machines and what to get full functionality by using an original or new handwheel encoder function,
- build new machines and want to raise their utility value implementing solutions previously found in CNC machines of well-known manufacturers.
- build machines with a large working area and are looking for solutions that would allow a machine operator to move away from a control panel and still keeping control over machine axes (in the MPG/JOG mode), axis feed rate, spindle speed, and an emergency stop button.
CSMIO-MPG module can be successfully used in CNC machines of any type, especially recommended for milling and turning machines.
How does it work?
After pressing ENABLE button on a manual handwheel, a CSMIO-MPG module via a CSMIO/IP controller switches Mach3 to MPG mode. In case of lack of the ENABLE button or if a user uses a solution based on an operator panel an axis selection switch may play the ENABLE button role. The switch must be then equipped in OFF position (switching from the OFF position to any other axis position will have the same effect as pressing an ENABLE button). After switching Mach3 to MPG mode, the CSMIO-MPG module starts continuous encoder pulses counting and also verifies digital inputs state, to which there are switches connected (of axis selection and step size). All the information are transferred through CAN bus to a CSMIO/IP motion controller, where they are changed into motion trajectory for a selected axis.
Several algorithms are watching over motion trajectory creation. The algorithms’ task is to make axis motion precise and smooth. This way prepared motion trajectory is performed by a servo drive or a stepper drive. At the same moment when an axis is moving the CSMIO/IP motion controller sends current axis position to Mach3 software this way that its axis position DRO shows the current position.