Inductive proximity sensors have gained popularity for several reasons:
- Small sizes
- Higher precision compared to mechanical sensors
- Higher resistance to dirt compared to mechanical sensors
- No moving parts, which makes them long-lived.
- Easy to install
In CNC machines, the inductive switch is most often used as a limit or home switch.
- As a limit switch, it is designed to protect linear axes from exceeding their permissible range of motion. In this case, when the inductive switch is activated, the CNC machine goes to an emergency stop immediately.
- As a home switch, it participates in axis homing, i.e. in the process of determining the beginning of the machine coordinate system. In this case, after an emergency stop or restart of a machine, it allows you to resume work without losing your position.