Line receiver is a device used to change differential signals TTL into TTL or OC digital signal. The utilization of the OC signal enables the usage of the converter as a system for voltages matching, as there are often drives that are controlled by STEP/DIR signal in the 24V standard.
How does it work?
Line receiver converts the differential signals TTL into digital signals TTL/OC. It means that differential signaling, which employs two complementary voltage signals in order to transmit one information signal (one information signal requires a pair of conductors; one carries the signal and the other carries the inverted signal) is being converted into:
- TTL digital signal, so Transistor-Transistor Logic, which is made of bipolar transistors and defines digital 1 and digital 0 as follows:
- digital 1 – when a signal voltage is between 1.5V and 5V,
- digital 0 – when a signal voltage is between 0V and 0.7V.
- OC digital signal, so Optical Carrier transmission rates, which are a standardized set of specifications of transmission bandwidth for digital signals that can be carried on Synchronous Optical Networking (SONET) fiber optic networks.
Line receiver has the exact opposite function to the line driver, which is used to convert the digital signals TTL/OC into differential signal TTL. Matching both the systems – line driver and line receiver – allows the user to send 5V or 24V signals over long distances using the differential signal that is highly resistant to interference.
Examples of use
Line receiver can be used to:
- Connection of CSMIO/IP- S or IP-M (differential signal) to a drive, which requires full TTL 5V signal and additionally all inputs are common anode/cathode type.
- Connection of CSMIO/IP- S or IP-M (differential signal) to a drive which requires a 24V signal and additionally all inputs are common anode/cathode type.
Read more: Differential Line Receiver – the practical use
Look also at:
Line Driver – Universal converter of digital signals TTL or OC into differential signals [TTL] – a system that has reverse functions. Its primary goal is to change 5V or 24V signal into the differential signal.
Matching both the systems (Line Driver + Line Receiver) you can send 5V or 24V signals over long distances using the differential signal which is highly resistant to interference.