fbpx

CS-Lab Support Forum for CNC Community

Help to run this brand-new forum and stay with us.
Ask your questions, we are here to help! 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Sim CNC for a gear hobbing machine

Hello,
I am looking for a replacement for my Mach3 software.

The control should support my 4-axis milling machine.

But! On the machine, gears are to be produced in the A-axis using the gear hobbing process.
This would require a coupling between the spindle and A-axis as an electronic gearbox.
Would that be possible? The thread cutting cycle does something similar. Only on the Z-axis.

(An implementation based on an external Arduino as an "ELS" system is too complex for me at the moment.)

Is it possible to change the axis mapping "on the fly" using the M command, similar to the "Swap Axis" command?
The long-term goal would be to switch between turning mode (turning tool in the spindle) and milling mode.

When will SIMCNC "Turning" be available?
Is a range of functions with Y-axis and/or driven tools planned?

Kind regards
Dirk Sander

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Me imagino que quieres sincronizar el avance y el giro como una talladora. Puedes sincronizarlo el modulo de ncoder.

Pero si no tienes nada de electrónica yo pondría cambio ips( step-dir) en el caso de que tengas servos o PAP. El módulo de Mpg y el de encoder. Luego podrás utilizar mach3 mach4 o simcnc

Las dos últimos funcionan realmente bien con csmio

Quote from Dirk on 18 March 2024, 22:54

> But! On the machine, gears are to be produced in the A-axis using the gear hobbing process.

>> This would require a coupling between the spindle and A-axis as an electronic gearbox.

>>> Would that be possible? The thread cutting cycle does something similar. Only on the Z-axis.   

Lathe cutter threading and hobbing milling are two completely different methods. Thread cutting involves synchronizing the position of the Z axis with the position of a freely rotating spindle driven by the VFD.
Hobbing milling involves strict synchronization of the A axis position with the C axis position.

A sure solution is to use the significant power of a servo drive to drive a spindle and use it interchangeably as a turning spindle and a C-axis for milling. In this way, the spindle, i.e. the C axis, working with the A axis, will create conditions for hobbing milling. A correctly written gcode will be used as the gearbox, e.g. G1 A100 C1000 F20.

The conclusion is that you can now mill using the hobbling method using the A and C axes.

>> Is it possible to change the axis mapping "on the fly" using the M command, similar to the "Swap Axis" command?

No.

>> The long-term goal would be to switch between turning mode (turning tool in the spindle) and milling mode.

The ideal solution would be to use what I wrote in blue. Unfortunately, simCNC does not yet have this functionality.

Currently, we advise our customers to use two smaller drives. The first drive is a classic VFD with power from 5kW to 7kW. This drive, as you guessed it, is only used for turning and threading. The second drive is a servo drive operating in position mode with a power of approximately 1kW. As you may have guessed, this drive is used only for milling.

When the correct gears are used for these drives, they almost always replace one large servo drive used for turning and milling. To enable alternating operation of both drives, an electro-clutch or a system for disconnecting the phases supplying the drives should be used.

Interestingly, Chinese companies have noticed this solution and use it in their small machining centers.

>> When will SIMCNC "Turning" be available?

Working hard on it.

>>  Is a range of functions with Y-axis and/or driven tools planned?

Yes.

Hallo,

Thank you for your answers.

I am pleased that the software for turning is being worked on hard. At the latest then the software is a highly attractive solution for me.

I will probably have to solve the problem with gear hobbing externally. Converting the spindle is too much work and for the moment not so easy.

Synchronisation via the encoder module is a method that still needs to be tested. Feedback from the spindle would be available or easy to retrofit.
In principle, it would be nice to handle the whole thing via CS control and software without having an Arduiono or similar in this process.

So, the China milling machine will never become a WFL 😀 .

Kind regards
Dirk Sander

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

PARTNERS:

USA

Germany

Slovenia / Bosnia

Spain

South Africa

UNI-CAM

The Netherlands

Portugal

Greece

Distrib milionis logo

Hungary