fbpx

CS-Lab Support Forum for CNC Community

Help to run this brand-new forum and stay with us.
Ask your questions, we are here to help! 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

simCNC tool change script & my personal knowledge base

Hi everyone,

I recently switched to simCNC and must say I love the flexibility of the software and the sheer endless options it gives for customizing it to my needs. The support here in the forum helped me a lot already and I continue learning every day.

While creating my own M6 tool change script I came across the post of erwanlefoll56. It did not only inspire me technically, but also made me think about setting up a little knowledge base to help others in the same situation. As my tool magazine works by sliding the tools in X direction and my overall setup is a bit different, I started over from scratch.

http://simcnc.a-ueberbach.de/2023/05/27/m6-script-for-tool-change-along-side-y-axis/

Disclaimer: both the knowlegde base and the M6 script are not fully complete yet, but will be finished in the next 1-2 weeks.

Hope my content is helpful for somebody.

Cheers,
André

Chris Mannion, erwan and CS-Lab Support have reacted to this post.
Chris MannionerwanCS-Lab Support

Short update on the knowledge base and what is possible with Python in simCNC... Yesterday I added an operator confirm/acknowledge function for touch screen use, which I think turned out very nicely.

It happened to me recently that I hit the wrong button and almost crashed my probe. For similar functions where the machine will start moving, like referencing, simCNC will by default show a confirm/cancel prompt. Does the job, but could be more satisfying.

The solution again comes in the form of a few lines in Python (tkinter, slider widget).
Here is a little proof of concept. An update with a better slider handle will follow in the next days.

http://simcnc.a-ueberbach.de/2023/06/20/touch-screen-operator-confirmation-of-action/

Cheers,
André

Uploaded files:
  • aueberbach_simcnc_gui_operator-confirm.png
Chris Mannion and erwan have reacted to this post.
Chris Mannionerwan

PARTNERS:

USA

Germany

Slovenia / Bosnia

Spain

South Africa

UNI-CAM

The Netherlands

Portugal

Greece

Distrib milionis logo