fbpx

CS-Lab Support Forum for CNC Community

Help to run this brand-new forum and stay with us.
Ask your questions, we are here to help! 

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Feed in GCode/MDI in mm/min, modification of tool table editor

Hello guys,

small questions to the customization experts:

• is there a configuration parameter or similar which allows to have the feed rate in the interpreter in mm/min instead of mm/s?
  • Is there by any chance a possibility to modify the existing tool table editor to have one more column for tool pockets?  Or do I need to replace it somehow (GUI editor, change button, have a custom python script, etc.)?
  • In addition to the previous question - are there separate custom usable parameters for storage of the tool pocket per tool? In the parameter list there is diameter, length, offset and wear offset, but unfortunately no pocket info.

Best regards to you

Daniel

>>> is there a configuration parameter or similar which allows to have the feed rate in the interpreter in mm/min instead of mm/s?

The feed rate in gcode and MDI is expressed in mm/min.
Why do you say it's expressed in mm/s?

>>> Is there by any chance a possibility to modify the existing tool table editor to have one more column for tool pockets?

The original table cannot be modified.

>>> Or do I need to replace it somehow (GUI editor, change button, have a custom python script, etc.)?

Yes, you need to replace the original table with multiple LineEdit objects and dynamically fill in them from the script (using Python functions or machine parameters).
Mostly, users create several rows for several tools and add buttons to scroll through the list of tools.

>>> In addition to the previous question - are there separate custom usable parameters for storage of the tool pocket per tool?

>>> In the parameter list there is diameter, length, offset and wear offset, but unfortunately no pocket info.

In simCNC there is no tool ID and tool pocket ID.
There is only a "T" identifier that specifies the number of the pocket in which the tool is stored, with the identifiers "H" and "D".

Quote from CS-Lab Support on 18 October 2023, 11:10

>>> is there a configuration parameter or similar which allows to have the feed rate in the interpreter in mm/min instead of mm/s?

The feed rate in gcode and MDI is expressed in mm/min.
Why do you say it's expressed in mm/s?

My fault, wrong assumption on my end, I am sorry.

Quote from CS-Lab Support on 18 October 2023, 11:10

>>> Or do I need to replace it somehow (GUI editor, change button, have a custom python script, etc.)?

Yes, you need to replace the original table with multiple LineEdit objects and dynamically fill in them from the script (using Python functions or machine parameters).
Mostly, users create several rows for several tools and add buttons to scroll through the list of tools.

>>> In addition to the previous question - are there separate custom usable parameters for storage of the tool pocket per tool?

>>> In the parameter list there is diameter, length, offset and wear offset, but unfortunately no pocket info.

In simCNC there is no tool ID and tool pocket ID.
There is only a "T" identifier that specifies the number of the pocket in which the tool is stored, with the identifiers "H" and "D".

Ok, thanks for clarification, then I will take care of tool data storage in an additional file, and sync it with the parameters of the controller. Or even easier, store the T information (pocket no) for every H (tool id) directly as a permanent parameter. Then I only have to replace the tool editor table.

By the way, having a configurable permanent mapping of tools H to pockets T allows to keep the cam program unchanged while tools could be in different pockets from previous jobs, but it would still select the right one. And it would go like this:
You have a M6 command which accepts the tool (H in your understanding) as input, and it checks in the table for the right pocket (T).  CAMs do not worry about pockets, neither do the generated programs, they all know only tools.

Best regards

Hi Mydani,

Your idea of separating pocket vs. tool number is exactly what I have discussed here in the forum before - and now (partially) implemented. It did also annoy me quite a bit that I had to change my tool numbers in CAM every single time...

Here is the original post with the full discussion:
https://en.cs-lab.eu/forum/topic/simcnc-change-image-via-py/

Basically what I did:

1. On initiation of the machine, read tool pocket vs. tool assignments from parameters and display in GUI

2. Adjusted M6 script, which takes the pocket position from the parameters instead of the tool number.

Depending on the type of tool the image gets adjusted (endmill, ballnose, chamfer, drill, spot-drill, etc.).

Currently I am waiting for one of the future simCNC releases. If I remember right, there will be a name field for the tools available 🙂
Anyways, once I am satisfied with my implementation I am happy to share my code.

As more people are interested in this feature: Probably it would make sense to allow a pocket assignment per tool. For those who want to use it this is much easier and for those who are okay with using T=Pocket they do not need to care.

Best regards,
André

Uploaded files:
  • tooltable.png

Hello Andre,

would you be willing to share already? Maybe I can add to it as well.

Regards!

Quote from mydani on 11 January 2024, 21:21

Hello Andre,

would you be willing to share already? Maybe I can add to it as well.

Regards!

http://simcnc.a-ueberbach.de/

PARTNERS:

USA

Germany

Slovenia / Bosnia

Spain

South Africa

UNI-CAM

The Netherlands

Portugal

Greece