CSMIO-ENC module – expansion module for threading (IP-S, IP-A)
* Price excl. VAT, for EU private customers (no EU VAT id.) 23% VAT applies.
CSMIO-ENC is a module for position reading from three incremental encoders. The module was designed as in case of Mach3 there was no possibility to work with high resolution encoders. The initial module task was to read current spindle revs on Mach’s screen and precise G32 tapping with turning knife. Now the module also provides rigid tapping (without compensation holder) with taps in lathes and milling machines. It’s function activated by M84 macro (available on CS-Lab website).
Provided by connection of the CSMIO-ENC module with a CSMIO/IP controller through CAN bus. It guarantees correct and fast transmission even in tough inustrial environment. Great advantage of CAN bus is resistance to interference also in case of much distance between devices,the resistance is asured by differential transmission and CAN bus termination (120 Ohm resistor at the begining and at the end of the CAN bus). Another advantage of the CAN bus is ability to detect collisions and data loss thanks to strict control of transmission.
Using differential line for pulses transmission between an encoder and the module is also very important matter. This proviedes resistance to interference and let us to achieve high signal frequencies.
CSMIO-ENC requires: encoder connection (encoder mounted on spindle, ratio 1:1, precise and solid installation is required), power supply and CAN bus. If direct installation of an encoder on a spindle isn’t possible you can use accurate backlash-free gearbox as: gear wheels with a toothed belt (read more in CSMIO-ENC manual). After mechanic and electric assembly we should aslo remember about encoder pulses number setting (including all four edges) and pulses counting direction (read more in CSMIO-ENC manual).
In case of Mach3 these setting must be done in plugin („Spindle” tab), with other software in a place intended for this.
How does it work?
CSMIO-ENC from machine start, spindle activation and Index signal finding starts to count encoder position, spindle angle and speed. All the information are transferred by the CAN bus to a CSMIO/IP motion controller, where they are treated by algorithnms which task is to accurately and smoothly synchronize move of a Z axis to a spindle during G32 or M84 command activation. At the moment of threading when the Z axis moves, the CSMIO/IP motion controller sends current axis position to Mach3 so its Z axis position DRO shows the real position.
Main advantages of CSMIO – ENC module?
- Easy configuration, limited to encoder pulses number and counting direction settings.
- Safety system – CSMIO-ENC module is equipped with many functions that protect the threading process. The most important are:
– Protection against too low Z axis parameters for threads with a large pitch or in case of threading with high-speed rotation speed of a spindle.
– Protection against incorrect direction of spindle revs for M3 or M4 command.
- Solid aluminum housing which dissipates heat and protects electronic circuits very well.Readable led controls on a front panel which make it easier to instal and simplify diagnostics in case of any problems with encoders.
- Additional features:
– two additional encoder inputs that can be used for eaxample for: glass scales position reading from VB macros.
– in case of using asynchronous AC motor and a VFD there is possibility to run PID loop (in Mach3) for spindle revs sabilization by 0-10V signal voltage correction. A result of such solution is forcing VFD (within safe limits of its potential), wgat results in noticeable increasment of spindle torque.
– positioning (indexing) of a spindle to demanded angle set in plugin (a function very often used in lathes witch manual holder) or to any angle by VB macro. To make it possible we should use a servo drive for spindle driving (its features must be the same as in case of servo drives mounted on axes X,Y,Z…..).
- Industry standard
– CSMIO-ENC module is adopted to work with encoders resistant to industrial environment in terms of interference what means that you should use encoders with differential, incremental signal TTL 5V. It’s possible to use non-differential encoders however only using differential line transmitter (available in CS-Lab store).
– Power supply of the module is adopted to 24V DC
CSMIO-ENC module is recommended to users/companies, who:
- retrofit original CNC machines and want to restore their threading functionality by using an encoder originaly mounted on a spindle.
- build new machines and want to expand their functionality by implementing precise threading so far available only in original CNC machines.
CSMIO-ENC module can be successfully used in lathes and milling machines, which spindle is driven as well by a servo drive as by a VFD.
In the CSMIO-ENC module package you will get:
- 1x DB25 flat cable
- 1x DB9 flat cable
- 1x DB25 connector -> terminal block.
- 1x terminator
NOTE: CSMIO-ENC module features may be expanded in the future.
CSMIO-ENC® Module for threading (for CSMIO/IP-S, -A models) Manuals